Thursday, September 4, 2008

I have decided to join the dark side.


After 32 years of living my life criticizing referees, i have decided to learn how to do the damn thing myself. Actually i have been kind of nugdged into it by the system.

In sports clubs in japan, not only must the teacher sponsor learn how to teach and play the sport, but they are also response at times for officiating games. This of course leads to some officials that dont know what the hell they are doing, but it also leads to so people really learning the sport from both ends.

That said, i started about 3 months ago attempting to ref games and took part in a clinic that had my work critiqued by a true veteran japanese official who acutally welcomed and endeared himself to me and the idea of me reffing games.

The nicest part about doing it is learning how clearly refs can affect a game.

But it is also nice to ref a game where the more skilled team wins and no one notices there is a ref on the court, i think the best example was maybe game 4 or 5 of the spurs hornets series. I think the hornets maybe lost the game but the radio annoucers were bubbling over at the smoothness of the game.

I give myself to the dark side. Maybe now, i wont be so hard on refs when i coach.

No comments: